Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Beef Stew

Beef Stew is probably one of the first meals from scratch I ever figured out. I've tried many different recipes, but can never settle down into just one way of making it. I used to make it in a crock pot. But so often the potatoes weren't cooked all the way through and the meat was a little tough or chewey. So now I just make it on the stovetop. And it only takes about 2 hours to cook that way instead of all day.

Here's how I made the latest batch:

First I browned 2 lbs of stew meat in olive oil in a skillet with plenty of salt and pepper.

Chopped up 8 potatoes with skins.

Peeled and sliced about 6 large carrots.

Sliced about 6 celery stalks and sauteed in olive oil.

While the celery was sauteeing, I chopped up one large white onion and then added it to the celery along with about three tablespoons of minced garlic.

Then I dumped it all together in my largest pot with a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes.

Then I made up about 8 cups of beef boullion and poured that in.

My "secret" ingredient that just makes stew wonderful is grape juice. But I didn't have any, so I substituted about half a can of frozen apple juice concentrate.

I added about a tablespoon each of rosemary and thyme and more salt and pepper.

Brought it to a boil (that took about 30 minutes) and then let it simmer for an additional 2 hours.

It was so yummy! And the meat was so tender. Usually I add frozen peas just before I serve it, but I forgot. This meal could have used more potatoes and carrots, because it was still a little meat heavy for our tastes. But I had used all the potatoes and carrots we had. So what can you do?

The really great thing is that it made enough to feed our family for two entire meals. The frustrating thing is that it did not make enough to keep me in lunches for the rest of the week PLUS another dinner. So I squeaked out one meager bowlful for my lunch today (it's just so yummy!) and put the rest in the freezer for another time.


link | posted by Real at 8:11 AM






1 Comments:
Blogger MandaMommy had this to say:

Here's a link for you:

http://pimpmydinner.blogspot.com/

Seems like a neat idea.

October 22, 2007 at 10:28 AM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Ever wish someone would wave a magic wand, and easy, nutritious dinners would appear on your kitchen table?

...So do we.




Out of the kitchen:
Real Beautopotamus Mothering on the Edge