Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Menu review

Although I never officially posted a grocery shopping list, I was in fact able to jot down what we didn't have on hand and go buy it at the store. I also decided that there was no way I would keep certain produce fresh enough to make it worth my while to do a two week list all at once. So I just bought for the first 7 recipes from menu #1.

On Sunday we had the Taco Salad and Cafe Rio rice. I had a nice little surprise. Moriah wanted to make dinner with Chris helping. I told him that I had the ingredients for any of these 7 recipes and they could choose and make whatever they wanted. Moriah picked the taco salad. I made some bread in the background while Chris and Moriah set to work. I didn't have to be consulted at all which was nice. Also, since they knew I had all the ingredients for that recipe, I didn't have to answer a bunch of questions about if or where we had something. They just looked until they found it. It was so organized that all the kids wanted to help and soon Chris had them all working on different parts.

The taco salad was a big hit, as usual. The rice wasn't loved or hated--except by me, who loved it. So Chris didn't think it was worth the work of putting all the veggies in it. But I think we'll do it again because it added a bit of nutrition and vitamins to just regular old white rice and I think it would be something nice for the kids to grow into loving.

Monday we had Mandarin-orange chicken served over brown rice. I liked it. I think I may have been teh only one. The kids didn't like all the onions and peppers in it. Of course! And my husband didn't like the oranges in it because it was too sweet. So either way, I lose. I thought it was a fairly nice way to do something different. I didn't love it enough to make it all the time, but once in a while would be a nice change. However, since I'm alone in that opinion, I probably won't make it again.

Tuesday we attended a barbecue. One of the people who attended owned a restaurant and had brought some rice. I think it's Greek or at least Mediterranean. But the rice is yellow and is sprinkled generously with Paprika. I liked it. They had a lot leftover and sent us home with a whole casserole dish of it.

Today I made the Chicken Rolls and Sugar Snap Peas. I just felt like peas instead so I switched it up. It's much easier to switch stuff up like that when you have a plan to go by. I didn't really feel like making dinner tonight (surprise surprise!) but knowing we had the ingredients all on-hand and that the produce would go bad if I didn't get to it (I had a PLAN for it, after all!) and having the recipe right there....kind of made me do it.

So I served chicken rolls, yellow rice and sugar snap peas. The rice was neither hated or loved. The Chicken rolls were everyone's favorite, as usual. I messed up on the recipe for the peas. One direction says to "drain well." That's an important step. Be sure you don't skip it. Other wise your sauce gets to watery and doesn't stick to the peas. I thought they were alright. I mean, they were definitely edible, but they weren't something I'd go back for. My husband didn't like the orange in the sauce, but otherwise thought they were fine. I was thinking I might like it more orange-y, not so watered down as ours was because I failed to "drain well."

Overall, this week has been a success so far. We've enjoyed a few days of good eating and the fact that I am actually organized and have a plan means that I'm not so stressed.


link | posted by Real at 7:30 PM






1 Comments:
Blogger Katie Richins had this to say:

Tyler has been mentioning some random rool thinies with chicken inside that he had at a wedding reception 7 1/2 (!) years ago. I tried to find somethingclose, and tried a recipe, and it was not it. Then, wonder of wonders, the NEXT DAY I read about them here!! He was a happy man, I tell you!!

We also had the spinach strwberry salad with a raspberry vinaigrette instead.

Awesome.

So, thanks for the recipes!!

June 7, 2007 at 5:08 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Ever wish someone would wave a magic wand, and easy, nutritious dinners would appear on your kitchen table?

...So do we.




Out of the kitchen:
Real Beautopotamus Mothering on the Edge